In this article, lets us know some of the best Linux distros that would be a great choice for beginners. | 5 best Linux distros to learn Linux for a new user.
3% of worldwide users use Linux for their daily tasks and almost everyone is happy with it. The reason why Linux is better is because of its stability, lightweight resource use, and doesn’t lag for every task, unlike windows.
Keeping all into consideration, choosing a Linux-based OS is quite challenging compared to just picking windows or Mac OS. There are numerous distros for specific usage scenarios. Some can be for development use, security analysis, gaming, basic use, lightweight OS, portable, etc. But a newbie who wants to use and learn Linux should always start with any of these distros mentioned below.
Here a some of the best Linux distros that you should consider if you are considering to use Linux as you daily operating system.
Ubuntu is always the most recommended Linux distro out there. Google it and Ubuntu will be always on the beginner’s list. If you are switching from Windows to Linux, Ubuntu might be the first choice you should opt for. It is the gateway to Linux.
Here are some of the features of Ubuntu
- Easy to use, navigate, and has a user-friendly interface.
- There is also a vast community for Ubuntu where you can solve any of the issues you might face.
- open-source operating system based on Debian.
- Improved GNOME Shell performance.
- Clean, fast boot time, and Moder UI. (dark mode)
- You can download popular softwares from the Software store/ App center.
- You can choose different flavors of Ubuntu such as Kubuntu, Xubuntu…
- Game mode and other system tweaks are also added in the latest version of Ubuntu.
Pop OS is based on Ubuntu, featuring a custom GNOME desktop. You can tell that pop OS is a polished version of ubuntu which gives a new minimal look and feel to your desktop. A minimal but powerful user experience which quite a number of popular software out of the box.
Personally, pop OS would be my first choice, because it provides a proper productivity system for daily usage, huge software support because it’s built on Ubuntu, and also a great gaming experience with the help of proton.
- Based on Ubuntu LTS. (GNOME desktop environment)
- Ideal for beginners and professionals.
- Easy to install, simple to use, and with a minimal look.
- Fluid animations, Dark mode, Window tiling, System tweaks.
- Extremely stable OS and good for gaming. Pop OS has the latest nvidia drivers available out of the box.
The most suggested distro for gaming is Manjaro. The biggest reason is because of Intel, NVidia, AMD driver support, which is mostly not available on other distros. For Ex: Manjaro can automatically detect your system hardware and update the graphics driver to the latest version.
- Based on ArchLinux.
- Fast and ideal for Linux gaming.
- Along with steam gaming on Linux, you can also play many Windows games using proton in Manjaro OS.
- You can play every windows game on Manjaro with the help of Lutris.
- Fastest in rolling out up to date software.
If you want the absolute best in gaming, choose Manjaro. Else, choose popOS because of its wide variety of softwares.
This OS focuses more on GUI-based designs and inputs, which means you will have very little use of those commands in the terminal. If you want to use your system just like Windows or Mac and you don’t prefer a terminal then this would be the absolute choice.
- Ideal for beginners.
- Based on Ubuntu LTS.
- UI looks almost like MacOS. Packed with snappy animations and elegant design.
- Unique app store ( Open source and pay to use softwares )
- Tweaks and features like pip mode, screenshot tool, Night light mode.
- One of the best alternatives for Windows and macOS.
While choosing the best Linux distro among these, go with ubuntu/ pop OS/ manjaro if you prefer performance. If you prefer to design and fluid animations, then choose Elementary OS.
Linux mint also can be a great alternative, if you are switching from Windows or Mac. There are many software’s built-in and support various media format. There are three flavors of Linux mint- Cinnamon (most popular), MATE, Xfce (Basic).
- Many customization options.
- Built-in features like time shift (Takes a backup of your system and maintains restore point similar to windows)
- Good for beginners. fast and stable Linux desktop experience.
- Based on Ubuntu.
You can also consider Zorin OS for a GUI based distro.
There are many Linux distros that you can prefer according to your need. Here are some of the popular specific purpose distros. | Best Linux distro
Kali Linux | Download
- For Advanced users.
- Used for Professional Network security ( Hacking, Cracking, Network Penetration, etc )
Slax | Download
- Portable and live boot OS.
- Want to carry your pc always in a Pendrive, then this is the distro you should prefer. (Although it’s not a powerful and feature-rich OS)
Ret hat Enterprise | Buy
- Enterprise or commercial purposes.
- Mostly used in servers for overall security and stability.
These are also some of the popular and best Linux distro out there.