Here are 15 crazy and interesting facts about space that will blow your mind.
Recent development in technology has made us wonder how small we are in this universe and we have many more places to explore around. Space is one among them, it is a mysterious place filled with planets, asteroids, stars, galaxies, and who knows what more.
Centuries ago, we thought that the world we will live in, is the only place that exists. After the development of science and technology, there is no limit for our exploration. Space science is growing so vast that we’ll mostly be living on another planet after a decade or so.
The universe is so enormous and filled with unknown mysteries although we know very little about it. So, lets set on an adventure to know more about the interesting facts about space.
1. There are volcanoes in pluto that erupts ice instead of lava
Unlike a normal volcano that erupts lava, there are unusual volcanoes in Pluto that erupt water, ammonia, or methane and these types of mountains are called cryovolcano or ice volcano.
2. Pluto is only half the width of United States and the Surface area of Russia is bigger than pluto.
Pluto diameter is only 2,376.6 km(1,430 miles) and US diameter is 4313.042 km (2680 miles)
The surface area of Pluto is 16.7 million sq. km and the surface area of Russia is 17.09 million sq. km
Pluto is smaller than the earth’s moon and 1/6th times the size of earth.
3. 99.8% mass of the entire solar system is retained by the sun.
Sun holds 99.86% mass of the whole solar system and 0.14% is covered up by other planets and asteroids.
Mass of Sun is approx. 1.989 x 10^30 kilograms.
4. There exist a planet that is made entirely of diamond
According to the scientists, “55 Cancri e” also called as super-earth is made up of diamond and graphite completely.
It is double the size of earth and has a temperature of 2700 degrees Celsius.
55 Cancri e is also known as “The Diamond planet“.
5. There exists a blue planet in the solar system that rains Molten Glass.
HD 189733b is the planet which rains glass due to its high temperature of 1093.333 degree Celsius.
Its 64 light years away from earth and the weather on this planet is deadly.
6. A giant cloud of alcohol is floating in the outer space 10000 light-years far away
There exists a cloud full of ethyl alcohol in the space. It is 1000 times larger than our solar system.
7. A planet in our galaxy consists of 3 suns
HD 131399Ab planet was discovered by scientists, and they found out that it is a multi-star planet.
It is located 340 light years from Earth.
8. When two same metals collide in space, they form a bond together
If two metals come into contact with each other in space, they form a bond. This phenomenon occurs because there is no obstacle or medium like air, gas. This is also helpful in cold welding for astronauts in space.
9. If a spaceship travels with a speed of light, it would take 200000 years to go across the whole galaxy
Milky way is way bigger than we expect and it is nearly impossible to travel across the entire galaxy with a space shuttle. If a space ship was built to travel at a speed of light, it would take 200000 years to cover the entire galaxy.
10. Uranus is the only planet which rotates sideways
Uranus has an unusual tilt in rotation to its axis. It is the only planet that rotates sideways at an angle of 98 degrees. Scientists have no idea, how is it possible and why?
11. There are liquid metallic hydrogen oceans in Jupiter
Unlike oceans in the earth that are filled with water, Jupiter has the largest ocean in the solar system but it’s made out of liquid metallic hydrogen. Its depth is 25000 miles.
12. There are 100 to 200 billion galaxies in our universe
Can you imagine how big the number is? According to scientists, the observable universe consists of 100 -200 billion galaxies approx. Although it is not proved, just an estimation.
Interesting facts about space
Like these facts!! Read more surprising facts about apple company.